Who is Chael Sonnen?
Chael is an American promoter and former professional mixed martial artist who gained fame for his brash personality, quick wit and formidable skills. Sonen made his professional MMA debut and rose to exponential fame, earning a reputation as one of the most challenging and entertaining fighters in the sport.
He has fought for some of the top organizations in the world, including the UFC, WEC and Bellator, racking up a career record of 31 wins, 17 losses and one draw.
Outside the cage, Sonnen made a name for himself as a commentator, analyst and personality. He has appeared on several MMA-related TV shows, including ESPN’s MMA Live, and hosted his podcast “You’re Welcome with Chael Sonnen.”
|First and last name||Chael Sonn|
|Popular for||The top mixed martial artist to never win a major MMA world championship and one of the sport’s greatest trash talkers. Oregon, USA|
Birthday and zodiac
|Age (from 2023)||45 years old|
|Date of birth||April 3, 1977|
|Birthplace||West Linn, Oregon, United States|
|School||West Linn High School|
|University||University of Oregon and Brigham Young University|
|Height||Six feet (1.85 m.)|
|Weight||93 kg (205 lbs.)|
|Estimated net worth||$10 million|
Family and relationship
|Woman||Brittany Smith (m. 2013)|
|Brothers or sisters||N/A|
|Children||Thero Stephen Sonnen, Blauna Dian Sonnen|
Chael Sonn Biography timeline
Chael Sonnen is a retired American mixed martial artist and former UFC fighter known for his exceptional wrestling skills and entertaining nonsense talk during fights. Born on April 3, 1977 in Milwaukie, Oregon, Sonnen began his wrestling career at a young age and later transitioned into mixed martial arts. Here is a detailed biography timeline of Chael Sonnen:
- 1996: Sonnen began his amateur wrestling career at West Linn High School in Oregon.
- 2002: Sonnen made his professional MMA debut and won his first fight unanimously.
- 2005: Sonnen signed with the UFC and debuted against Renato Sobral, winning the fight unanimously.
- 2007: Sonnen defeated Paulo Filho to become the WEC Middleweight Champion.
- 2009: Sonnen re-signed with the UFC and fought Anderson Silva for the UFC Middleweight Championship, losing the fight by submission. He later tested positive for steroids and was suspended for a year.
- 2010: Sonnen returned to the UFC after suspension and won his next three fights against top contenders including Nate Marquardt and Brian Stann.
- 2012: Sonnen coached opposite Jon Jones on the seventeenth season of the reality show The Ultimate Fighter and later challenged Jones for the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship, losing the fight by TKO.
- 2013: Sonnen defeated Maurício Rua on his return to the Light Heavyweight division, but lost his next fight to Rashad Evans. He later retired from MMA in June 2014 with a professional record of 30 wins and 17 losses.
- 2017: Sonnen announced that he would retire to fight in Bellator MMA and signed a multi-fight contract with the organization.
- 2019: Sonnen retired from MMA after losing to Lyoto Machida in his last fight in Bellator.
Chael Sonnen’s charisma, outspoken personality and exceptional wrestling skills made him a fan favorite in the MMA community. Despite his controversial statements and failed drug tests, Sonnen’s impact on the sport cannot be denied. He is now a commentator for Bellator MMA and has appeared on several TV shows including The Celebrity Apprentice and The New Celebrity Apprentice.
Chael Sonnen biography
Chael was born “Chael Patrick Sonnen” on April 3, 1977, in Milwaukie, Oregon, to parents Claudia and Patrick Sonnen. He grew up in a working-class family with four siblings and had a passion for wrestling from an early age.
Sonnen attended West Linn High School as a student wrestler and won two state championships. He continued his wrestling career at the University of Oregon where he was a two-time All-American and Pac-10 Conference Champion.
Sonnen’s professional career
Chael Sonnen started his professional MMA career in 1997 and quickly became one of the top sports wrestlers. He competed in several organizations including the UFC, WEC and Bellator.
Sonnen’s signature style was his wrestling skill, which he used to dominate opponents and control the pace of the fight. He was also known for his tough chin, tenacity and ability to confuse his opponents.
Throughout his career, Sonnen fought some of the top names in MMA, including Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, and Tito Ortiz. He fought for several titles, but was never able to capture a championship belt.
After retiring from MMA in 2019, Sonnen transitioned into a career as a commentator, analyst and personality. He continued to work in the MMA industry, hosting his podcast and appearing in several TV shows.
Who is Chael Sonnen’s wife?
Chael is a private person when it comes to his personal life. He married Brittany in July 2013 and has two children, a son named Thero Stephen and a daughter named Blauna Dian Sonnen.
Sonnen keeps his family life away from the public eye and limited information about his relationships and personal life is available.
However, in interviews, Sonnen said that his family is his top priority, and he values spending time with them.
Chael Sonnen: A controversial figure
Sonnen has been involved in several controversial moments throughout his career. In 2010, he failed a drug test due to elevated testosterone levels and was suspended from MMA competition. He was also fined and placed on probation after pleading guilty to money laundering charges in 2011.
In addition, he has been criticized for his nonsense and incendiary comments about other fighters and their countries, leading to backlash from fans and the MMA community.
Despite those controversies, Sonnen has remained a prominent figure in the sport and continues to work in the MMA industry.
Chael Sonnen is active on social media and has a significant following across platforms.
On YouTubehe has a channel called “Chael Sonnen”, with over 1.13 million subscribers, where he posts content related to MMA, including interviews, fight analysis and commentary.
On TwitterSonnen is active under the name ‘@ChaelSonnen’. He has more than 764.9k followers as of 2023. He often tweets about MMA news, his podcast and other current events.
He has an account called “@sonnench”, with over 667,000 followers Instagram. His posts include photos and videos of his personal life, MMA related content, and promotions for his podcast.
Facebookhas a page called “Chael Sonnen”, with more than 581,000 followers, where he posts similar content on his other social media platforms.
- Chael Sonnen is known for his signature line, “I’m the gangster from West Linn”, referring to his hometown in Oregon.
- Sonnen is a two-time NCAA Division I All-American Wrestler.
- Sonnen has fought for several MMA organizations including the UFC, WEC and Bellator.
- Chael has a professional MMA record of 31 wins, 17 losses and one draw.
- Sonnen has been a commentator and analyst for several MMA-related TV shows, including ESPN’s “MMA Live”.