Who is Michael Moriarty?
Michael Moriarty is an American-Canadian actor and musician, best known for his role as Assistant District Attorney Benjamin Stone on the television series ‘Law & Order’ from 1990 to 1994, for which he won a Primetime Emmy Award.
He has also appeared in movies like ‘Bang the Drum Slowly’, ‘Q: The Winged Serpent’ and ‘Pale Rider’, among others.
In addition to his acting career, Moriarty is a classically trained pianist and composer and has released several music albums. He has also written several screenplays and plays and has worked as a director and producer.
|First and last name
|The Chancellor Manuscript, Shiloh, Shiloh Season and The Complete Shiloh Trilogy
Birthday and zodiac
|Age (from 2022)
|82 years old
|Date of birth
|April 5, 1941
|Detroit, Michigan, United States
|U of D Jesuit High School and Academy, London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art
|6 feet 4 inches (1.93 m)
|Estimated net worth
|$1 million – $5 million
Family and relationship
|Suzana Cabrita (m. 1998-1999), Anne Hamilton Martin (m. 1978-1997), Francoise Martinet (m. 1966-1978) & Margaret Brychka
|Brothers or sisters
Michael Moriarty Biography Timeline
Michael Moriarty is a retired American actor and musician. He is best known for his role as Executive Assistant District Attorney Ben Stone on the TV series ‘Law & Order’. Moriarty has also had a successful career in film, television and theater and has been nominated for several awards for his performances.
- April 5, 1941: Michael Moriarty was born in Detroit, Michigan.
- 1963: Moriarty graduated from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art and started his acting career in theatre.
- 1971: Moriarty made his film debut in “Who Killed Mary What’s ‘Er Name?”
- 1973: Moriarty was nominated for a Tony Award for his performance in the play ‘Find Your Way Home’.
- 1974: Moriarty won an Emmy Award for his performance in the TV movie ‘The Glass Menagerie’.
- 1981: Moriarty was cast as Executive Assistant District Attorney Ben Stone in the TV series ‘Law & Order’, a role he played for four seasons.
- 1985: Moriarty won a Golden Globe Award for his performance in the TV movie ‘The Burning Bed’.
- 1988: Moriarty was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the movie “Bang the Drum Slowly.”
- 1993: Moriarty left “Law & Order” due to creative differences with the show’s producers.
- 1995: Moriarty wrote and directed the movie ‘The Blackwater Lightship’.
- 1998: Moriarty retired from acting to focus on his career as a musician and composer.
- 2001: Moriarty released his first album, “Playboy of the Western World”, which contained his original compositions.
- 2012: Moriarty returned to acting in the movie “The Citizen”.
- 2018: Moriarty has released his second album, “Offering”.
Biography: Michael Moriarty
Michael Moriarty was born on April 5, 1941, in Detroit, Michigan, to George Moriarty, a surgeon, and Eleanor Paul, a housewife. He grew up in a Catholic family.
Moriarty attended Jesuit High School at the University of Detroit and later enrolled at Dartmouth College, where he studied English literature and classical piano.
After college, he studied at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, where he honed his acting skills.
Political Views, Controversy, and Relationship to Hollywood: Michael Moriarty
Moriarty strongly advocates conservative politics and has actively supported the Republican Party. He has also been an outspoken critic of what he sees as Hollywood’s left-wing base, accusing the industry of stifling conservative voices.
Many political views have sparked various controversies throughout his career. In the early 1990s, he famously clashed with the producers of Law & Order over his opposition to abortion, eventually leading to his departure from the show.
Moriarty also caused controversy with his support of controversial figures such as the late white nationalist David Duke.
Despite these controversies, Moriarty remains a respected figure in the entertainment industry. He has received critical acclaim for his work as an actor and musician and has won numerous awards throughout his career.
Moriarty is also known for his skills as a pianist and composer and has released several albums of classical music.
In recent years, Moriarty has expressed his political views, often through his blog. While he remains controversial, his commitment to his beliefs has earned him a loyal following among conservative audiences.
Personal life of Michael Moriarty
Michael has been married four times and has four children. His first marriage was to French Canadian actress Francoise Martinet, with whom he had a daughter, Annabelle. The couple divorced in 1975.
In 1978, Moriarty married costume designer Susan Buel, with whom he had two sons, Byron and Daniel. The couple divorced in 1997.
Moriarty’s third marriage was to actress Carmen Ejogo, whom he met while filming “The Brave One” in 2006. The couple married in 2009 and have a son together named River.
Moriarty has been open about his struggles with alcoholism and his road to recovery. In his autobiography “The Gift of Stern Angels,” he chronicles his journey to sobriety and credits his third wife, Carmen Ejoga, for helping him overcome his addiction.
What is Michael Moriarty’s net worth?
From April 2023, Michael Moriarty’s net worth is estimated to be around $1 and $5 million. However, it is essential to note that celebrity net worth can fluctuate over time depending on income from new projects, investments and personal expenses.
- Moriarty attended the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art in the 1960s, studying with famed acting coach William Layton.
- In addition to his work in film and television, Moriarty is a classically trained pianist and has released several albums of classical music.
- Moriarty won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in Drama Series for his role as Executive Assistant District Attorney Ben Stone on the TV series Law & Order.
- Moriarty strongly advocates conservative politics and has actively supported the Republican Party.
- Moriarty is a controversial figure in Hollywood for his outspoken political views and his clashes with the producers over creative differences, including his departure from Law & Order in the early s the 90’s.
Frequently Asked Questions
Michael Moriarty is an American-Canadian actor, writer and musician.
Michael Moriarty was born on April 5, 1941.
Michael Moriarty was born in Detroit, Michigan, United States.
Michael Moriarty is best known for his role as Executive Assistant District Attorney Benjamin Stone on the television series Law & Order.
Michael Moriarty won a 1974 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for his role in the television movie The Glass Menagerie.
As of 2021, Michael Moriarty’s net worth is around $1 million.
Michael Moriarty is listed at 6 feet 4 inches (193 cm) tall.
Michael Moriarty studied at Dartmouth College and later attended the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art.
Michael Moriarty has appeared in several other TV shows and movies, including Bang the Drum Slowly, Holocaust, Pale Rider, and The Last Detail.
Michael Moriarty has retired from acting, but occasionally makes public appearances and gives interviews.
Michael Moriarty is also a classically trained pianist and composer and has released several albums of his music.
Michael Moriarty is a vocal conservative and libertarian involved in various political causes.
Michael Moriarty’s father was of Irish and French Canadian descent, while his mother was of Irish and German descent.
Yes, Michael Moriarty has two children, a daughter and a son.
Michael Moriarty enjoys writing, painting and studying philosophy and theology.