To get a roundup of gotechbusiness.com’s biggest and most important stories delivered to your inbox every day at 3PM PDT, register here.
We’re almost there, folks. It is the last Thursday of 2022 and today we have some news for you from Alibaba and Spotify as well as some crypto news from India. And as always, we’re giving you some goodness from TC+, our premium membership program. Read on, dear readers, and we’ll be back tomorrow to bring you the final moments of 2022 in tech. — PK
The gotechbusiness.com Top 3
- Alibaba’s cloud movement: Alibaba Cloud has a new president, Rita reports. Only after AWS and Microsoft appointed Daniel Zhang, the company’s CEO, as acting president, the world’s third-largest public cloud infrastructure provider.
- Call him in with Spotify: Aisha writes that the platform wants to help you welcome 2023 in style with what it thinks you might like. Playlists like ‘Party Hits’, ‘Floor Fillers’, ‘Pop Party’ and ‘Rock Party’ will usher you in until midnight. The hub also gives you some DJ mixes from the likes of TT the Artist, Carlita, AMÉMÉ, Coco & Breezy, &ME and Austin Millz. Stoop!
- Indian crypto regulation: Under its G20 presidency, India has said it will prioritize development of a framework for the global regulation of unsupported crypto-assets, stablecoins and decentralized finance, writes Manic.
Startups and VC
- Remember this: Catherine writes that Recall.ai raised $2.7 million in a seed funding round to help with a unified API that works with Zoom, Google Meet, and Microsoft Teams to help customers build apps for a number of use cases.
- Rounds down: Mary Ann spoke with Hans Tung and Robin Li of GGV about the company’s position in a challenging business environment. (Requires TC+ subscription.)
Redefining ‘founder-friendly’ capital in the post-FTX era
Could the FTX debacle have been avoided if investors took a more active interest in the company’s activities?
Given the chilly climate for late-stage fundraising and widespread economic uncertainty, “it’s time for the startup community to redefine what ‘founder-friendly’ capital means and balance both the source and cost of that capital” , writes Blair Silverberg, co-founder and CEO of Hum Capital.
In a TC+ guest post, he weighs the relative advantages of active versus passive investors, explains the basics of debt startup financing, and shares advice “for founders looking to better balance capital and outside expertise for their company.”
gotechbusiness.com+ is our membership program that helps founders and startup teams lead the way. You can sign up here. Use code “DC” for a 15% discount on an annual subscription!
Looking back and looking ahead
We’ve rounded up the best of our TC+ coverage of the rollercoaster year in crypto. Not enough? Jacquie gave us a few extra to squeeze more pulp out of the crypto juice:
Ron took a look at the private equity that dominated the top 10 corporate M&A deals this year. The deals totaled nearly $154 billion. (Requires TC+ subscription.)
Rebekah has some ideas about what’s in store for the micromobility market in 2023 – after what she said was a “tumultuous” year.