With WhatsApp you can now make or receive voice and video calls via the desktop application for Windows and Mac. The feature was previously only available to selected users, but is now available to everyone in India. It is useful for those who use WhatsApp desktop every day for work or personal reasons.
How to Download WhatsApp Desktop Apps
If you don’t have WhatsApp on your computer, you can download it here for 32-bit Windows, 64-bit Windows here and Mac here.
Which versions of WhatsApp’s desktop apps can make calls?
WhatsApp says the calling feature is compatible with Windows 10 64-bit version 1903 or later and macOS 10.13 or later. But you can only make individual WhatsApp calls from now on, as group calls are not supported by the WhatsApp desktop app at the moment.
System requirements for WhatsApp video calls on PC
To make WhatsApp voice and video calls on a desktop, you need three things:
- An audio output device and microphone for calls. If you want to make video calls, you also need a webcam.
- An active internet connection on your computer and phone.
- You will also be asked to give WhatsApp permission to access your computer’s microphone and camera to make calls.
Making WhatsApp calls on a PC
Here’s how to make WhatsApp calls on your desktop.
- First, install the WhatsApp desktop app for Windows or Mac.
- Use your phone to scan the QR code on your computer.
- Your WhatsApp account will open on the screen.
- Now open a chat and click on the voice or video call icon in the top right corner.
- A WhatsApp call is placed directly from the desktop.